Monday, August 27, 2007

Preparing to preach - A Homily is born


A Homily is Born Mark 10:46-52

Have you ever wondered how a homily is prepared? I of course can only speak for myself and my homily preparation practices. I am opening this door in hopes it will provide some insight into the preparation required to preach God’s word.

My homily preparation usually follows a well worn path. I begin by reading the first and second readings and noting themes found in both readings. I generally look for words that tie the readings together.

The second step is to read the Psalm and see if it pairs well with the other readings. I make notes here as well.

The third step is to read the readings and psalm together. I leave the homily process at this point and return the next day to continue.

The homily prep continues with the reading of the gospel. I take quick notes as thoughts jump out at me. I read the gospel several times and continue to jot down the themes and thoughts that come to mind.

All my notes are reviewed and a strong sense of a common theme emerges the theme is divided into an outline. The outline is used to compile bullet points that are used to preach the homily.

The process is quite simple but much prayer is required to effectively preach the word of God.

The following homily was prepared and preached by me at my home parish.

A Blind Beggar has a Vision

I want to point out two spiritual lessons found in our gospel reading featuring an encounter between a blind beggar and Jesus.

To spot light these lessons I want to call your attention to a statement Jesus made to his disciples and a question Jesus posed to the blind beggar.

Our story opens with a blind beggar begging on the roadside in Jericho.
He hears Jesus is passing by and begins to cry out Jesus son of David have mercy on me.

The disciples tried to keep him quiet but he cried out even more.

Jesus stopped and told his disciples to call him.

Why didn’t Jesus call the beggar himself?

This statement brings us to our first lesson.

Jesus wants his disciples and his church to be actively involved in bringing people to God.

Evangelism is our first priority. To be successful we all must share our time and talents and treasure to get the job done.

The message: Be of good cheer Jesus is calling you.

The beggar gets up and comes to Jesus.

He cast aside his cloak and the money received from passers by

He left his old life behind

Jesus asks the beggar a question what do you want me to do for you?

This question brings us to the second lesson

We must acknowledge our spiritual brokenness in order to be spiritually healed.

The beggar knew what he needed, I want to see.

If you are praying and your prayers are not being answered you may not have a clear understanding of your needs.

Jesus is still counting on his disciples to call people to him so he can meet their needs.
Let’s follow the blind beggar’s example, after he received his sight he followed Jesus.