Friday, August 3, 2007

Faith Family and the FBI



I wonder from time to time how adversity and change affect faith and family. Change and adversity are part of our life experience. I enjoy reading stories from the Old Testament about the struggles of an ancient people. The insights have helped me in my daily walk of faith. So I want to share with you a major change taking place in my family in hopes it will be a beacon of hope to all who are struggling with change.

My wife and I have three grown children. One daughter and two sons, the boys are married and we have two wonderful daughter in laws. Truth be told I could not have done better if I picked them myself. Our youngest son lives in California and is a youth pastor and very active in his church. Our daughter lives in Florida and is a college professor with a Masters degree in English. I am very proud of all three of our children.

The change in our family centers around our oldest son Bill and his family. We have one grandson Hunter who will be three in October. Those of you that have grandchildren know the joy they provide to a family. Those of you who don’t have grandchildren must think we are a bit possessed. They live about eight miles from us so we see them often.

Bill received a call from the FBI this week and he has been accepted into the FBI. He has worked very hard over the past three years and has passed every test they threw his way. I cannot express how proud I am of him and his accomplishment.

Well as you might have guessed the big change is they will be moving following six months of training Bill must complete.

While I am happy for Bill, he has the opportunity to do something few get the chance to do. On the other hand sadness dampens the joy. The selfish side of we wonders why he could not stay here and things remain just as they are. Yes I know the answer but right now I don’t like it very much. To say the least this is a major change in our family.

Part of the angst is the unknown element which surrounds the change. Where will they go, how often can we visit and so on. You maybe wondering how often we visit our son in California we have been there once in five years. Our daughter we see once a year or so. So what’s the problem? Bill and his family made the absence of the others bearable.

The Old Testament stories I mentioned are marked by situations much more difficult than the change I have shared. Yet until I have a chance to process this change it seems huge from where I sit.

So where do I go from here? Well I trust faith will kick in at some point and rational thinking will have to do until faith breaks through.

Rationally I know that I will see Hunter, Bill and Mont just not as often and who knows where this road may lead our family. I don’t know the destination so I need to focus on the journey.

Along with faith I have the love and support of my wife Beckey. She has walked with me over the years and we have shared the joys and struggles of family and faith. She is my best friend and the love of my life. This is not the first or last change we will face.

Yes I am struggling a bit with this pending change. But my faith, my wife and my family will pull me through.

It is my prayer that those of you facing change or challenges find hope in my struggle.