Thursday, August 16, 2007

Blessed Mother and a Baptist Preacher


The Blessed Mother and a Baptist Preacher

My years as a Baptist minister were filled with study, prayer, countless sermons and all the duties related to being a pastor.

Theological differences led me to seek answers to a number of questions. My presentation detailing why I joined the Catholic Church culminates with a one word answer: the sacraments. Sifting out all the fringe issues it repeatedly came back to the sacraments, specifically Holy Communion.

Well it has been eleven years and Holy Communion still remains the number one reason I became Catholic. Over the years I have discovered numerous additional reasons to become a part of the Catholic family.

I will spare you a mundane list and focus on one treasure. It took me several years to uncover this wonderful gift and still several more years to appreciate it.

This wonderful treasure was not hidden but I focused on other things and almost missed this gem the Blessed Virgin Mary.

As a Baptist minister my knowledge of Mary was limited to the virgin birth. I never questioned the concept of the virgin birth after all it’s in the Bible.

As I began to study in earnest the dogmas surrounding Mary I was quite surprised to find I was in agreement with the assumption of Mary her perpetual virginity and the fact she was born without original sin.

I don’t claim to understand how these things can be but in my limited knowledge they made sense. The chosen one who would bring the Son of God to the world would need to be a vessel without blemish. The ever virgin dogma eliminates all possibility that Joseph was the father. And the assumption completes Mary’s yes to the angel as she surrendered to the will of God.

I was profoundly moved by a lecture given by a priest instructor during my deacon formation classes. The title of the class was Mary’s Yes. Mary set an example for all to follow giving ourselves without reservation to God and his divine will.

I began to examine my motivations and actions in light of Mary’s example and instead of feeling like I was very inadequate I discovered her example to be encouraging.

If I respond to God with a resounding yes to follow him the same Holy Spirit which filled Mary is available to me as well. The same grace is mine the same hope for the future is mine.

From a very limited knowledge of Mary to being the spiritual director for the legion of Mary is quite remarkable. As I continue my spiritual journey I am amazed by the means and methods God uses to bring me to a deeper relationship with him.

There are many hidden treasures in the Catholic Church. I encourage everyone to consider the treasure beyond price The Blessed Virgin Mary.

Hail Mary full of grace blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary Mother of God pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.