Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Michael Vick - the dogs have had their day


Well I Guess the Dogs have had their Day


I have made an effort to distance myself from the Michael Vick mess. But I can’t help myself. It is not a matter of Mike being an easy target and it’s time for me two pile on. I am addressing this issue for two reasons.

I live in Atlanta and can’t get away from constant conversation in the news or around the water cooler at work.

We truly do love a train wreck and Mike has plenty of company. The young Hollywood teen idols absorbed with themselves, going all out to experience pleasure at any cost. Older Hollywood types on entertainment tonight consumed with or just getting over an addiction. One guy who seemed to have it all tried to commit suicide and thankfully failed.

Mike Vick is not alone but that in no way excuses what he has done. The financial cost of his offence is staggering. The enormity of his crime has polarized the city of Atlanta. Sadly his actions to a degree go along racial lines. Some suggest dog fighting is cultural in nature. No matter how you wrap this package it is a crime that people can’t fathom. Mike training dogs to kill, and some how finding entertainment in watching one dog kill another. On top of that the dogs that failed to perform well were put to death. Defenseless creatures dying at the hands of their guardians.

Many are calling for forgiveness for Mike. Some want the harshest penalty possible. I am not passing judgment here it’s not my place. But I am glad the dogs will have their day when Mike Vick faces a judge.

The second reason I was compelled to speak my peace on this subject is the tarnished hero Mike has become to many children. Boys who proudly wore a replica number 7 jersey. Boys who now must try to understand how their hero could possibly be involved in dog fighting. Our sinfulness has a far reaching effect on others.

I wonder and I suppose many of you do to what in the world is going on? We seem to be confronted on every hand with evil. Well that is because we are or are we? I do not think sin is more prevalent but the reporting of sin and evil is constant. The news can be seen 24/7 we have folks with cell phones that have capabilities our grandparents never imagined. Don’t get me wrong there is enough sin to go around and enough people to participate in yes even dog fighting.

As Christians we have much to do to stem the tidal wave of sin. Be the Christians we say we are. Preach the gospel by our living and striving for holiness. Stand up for what is decent and leading others to the peace Jesus promised his follows in a sinful world.

I have no clue as to the sentence the judge will impose on Mike Vick. Many in the news recently have gotten of very light. There is a judgement day coming when God will impose his sentence which will be in accordance to his law.

The dogs will have their day in the Vick case and rest assured God will have his day.