Tuesday, July 10, 2007

From a Hero Sandwich to a Saint!


Once Upon a Time My Favorite Hero was a Sandwich!

How did I arrive at a place and time in my life where a hero sandwich was my hero? Well I am glad you asked.
It’s quite simple really I was raised in a time when Father always knew best and June and Ward Cleaver had the time and took the time to raise Wally and the Beaver to seek the moral high ground and accept responsibility for their actions.

Sports figures played the game for the love of the game, promoted sportsmanship and we were gracious winners and humble losers.

A time when a neighbor was not only a neighbor, but a friend. A neighbor would step into the role of being my parent when they became aware that my parents could not see around corners. Finding role models and hero’s was a simple process. They were in abundance, Parents, Grandparents, numerous family members, sports figures and TV and movie stars. What little boy did not imitate the Lone Ranger or Mickey Mantel?

Then things changed as they often do and not for the better. Finding a hero became more and more difficult.
Parents became consumed with making a living and allowing a daycare center to raise their children.
Extended family members no longer took an interest in raising children outside the immediate family.
Sports figures were swept up in the big business of sports and succumbed to performance enhancing drugs.
Movie and TV personalities fell from grace by the bus load. Many of them are cursed by a past, present or recurring addiction. Yet the youth of today follow these misguided souls into the depths of Hollywood culture, only to run the risk of never knowing a true hero.

So is it any wonder that a hero sandwich was my hero until I came to the Catholic Church. Of course they don’t identify them as heroes they are called Saints. And it’s once again easy to find a hero, role model, Saint because the Church is full of them.
There are Saints for everyday of the year and thousands to choose from. Books have been written proclaiming the accomplishments of these holy men and women.
Today my hero sandwich is relegated to the brown bag lunch and I have so many hero’s to choose from it’s a difficult choice but a nice problem to have.
If your hero has lost their way try a Saint it’s a heavenly choice.