Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Santa Is Already in town!


Santa Claus is Coming to Town

I am probably the only person concerned with Santa’s early arrival. I don’t have an issue with Saint Nick but it seems Santa arrives earlier each year. A local mall is proudly announcing Santa’s arrival on November 10th.

You have got to be kidding me. Maybe we should celebrate Christmas on the fourth of July. I think combining these two holidays could be a boost to both days. Not much patriotism these days and Christmas is not what it used to be. It’s no longer the celebration of the birth of Christ. Celebrating the savior’s birth is no longer politically correct. In stead of merry Christmas and happy New Year it’s happy holidays. Happy holidays give me a break.

Well we must be considerate of others beliefs and be careful not to offend. I wondered today if anyone was even slightly concerned with my feelings or faith. The answer is no.

I have never been called and asked by a TV pollster what programs I watch on a regular basis. Or which programs I think should be cancelled. I have never been questioned about my political views. And I have never been asked if I have been offended by the fact that Christmas has been reduced to happy holidays.

Well you bet I am offended, and tired of the birth of the Lord being used to set the cash registers humming for a commercial holiday. No religious symbols in schools, no merry Christmas.

And sad to say we Christians have done very little to stem the tide of political correctness. We are guilty of saying happy holidays instead of merry Christmas. We get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the holiday season.

So where do we go from hear. Well may I suggest we start by putting Christ back in Christmas? Celebrate advent preparing for the coming of the Lord. Teach your children the true meaning of Christmas. Santa has his place, but keep in mind Santa cannot forgive sin. Santa brings gifts but the gift of eternal life is not in his bag.

My prayer for all this Christmas is that we find the peace joy and love only Christ can bring.

Merry Christmas