Saturday, October 13, 2007


A Card Carrying Curmudgeon

Webster’s defines a curmudgeon as a crusty ill tempered and usually old man.

A co-worker called me a curmudgeon can you believe it? She was kidding of course; honest she said she was kidding. By definition I am not guilty. Well ok I can be crusty and I guess ill tempered at times but I am not and old man.

Those that know me would say if you look up curmudgeon in the dictionary you would find my picture. And if I am honest I am guilty as charged from time to time.

That begs the question have you wondered how others see you? Many will stop here and proclaim I don’t care what people think of me or how they see me. Yes you do and the more you protest that you don’t care are signs that you really do.

We all want to be loved and accepted by others. We seek approval and praise for a job well done. Yes even an old curmudgeon needs a hug now and then.

I have another question: From a Christian perspective should we be concerned about how people see us? The answer of course is YES.

As Christians we are to be Christ like. We are to be a reflection of Jesus to others. When people see us do they see the Lord? Of course this reflection of Christ filters through our personality and we are who we are projecting an image of Christ.

Please note that I am not talking about physical appearance, way too much emphasis is placed on our outward appearance. My father in law used to say if the barn needs painting paint it. Looking your best is one thing obsession is another.

Do you live your life mindful of the fact that you are a Christian? Can others see Jesus in you?

As for me I am striving and at times struggling to be a light in this dark world. At times I maybe a curmudgeon but my goal is to be a Christian and a reflection of Christ 24-7.